Japan’s government and the World Bank
Deadline: February 28, 2023 (annual)
Study in: selected countries
The course starts in AY 2023-2024.
The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) is open to women and men from developing countries with relevant professional experience and a history of supporting their countries’ development efforts who are applying to a master’s degree program in a development-related topic.
Host institutions or programs of study:
JJWBGSP offers scholarships for participating programs at universities in the U.S., Europe, Africa, Oceania, and Japan.
Nationals of developing countries who are citizens of World Bank member countries
A JJWBGSP scholarship provides tuition, a monthly living stipend, round-trip airfare, health insurance, and a travel allowance.
The scholarships cover the duration of the graduate program or two years, whichever is less.
The applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria:
• Be a national of a World Bank member country on this list;
• have no dual citizenship in any developed country;
• Be in good health;
• Hold a Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree earned at least three years before the application deadline;
• have three years or more of recent development-related work experience after earning a bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree;
• Be employed in development-related work in a paid full-time position at the time of submitting the scholarship application. have at least three years of paid development-related employment since earning a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent university degree) and acquired within the past six years from the date of the application deadline.
• On or before the Scholarship Application Deadline date, be admitted unconditionally (except for funding) for the upcoming academic year to at least one of the JJ/WBGSP participating master’s programs located outside of the applicant’s country of citizenship and country of residence listed at the time the call for scholarship applications opens. The letter of admission must be uploaded before submitting your application.
• Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of any appointment of the World Bank Group, or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption, with the term “close relative” defined as mother, father, sister, half-sister, brother, half-brother, son, daughter, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew.
To be considered for a JJ/WBGSP scholarship, you must apply and be unconditionally accepted for admission to at least one of the participating programs. In your application, you must upload an unconditional acceptance letter from a participating master’s degree program. Applications are made online once the scholarship opens. Two application windows depending on the participating program:
- • Application Window #1
From January 16 2023 to February 28 2023 at noon Washington time
Participating programs of the JJWBGSP are accepting applications under Window #1.
- • Application Window #2
From March 27 2023 to May 26 2023 at noon Washington time
Participating Programs in the JJWBGSP are accepting applications under Window #2.
It is essential to visit the official application guidelines website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.worldbank.org/en/programs/scholarships